Friday, 22 March 2013

Building changes

So, long time, no writing... again.

After some more testing, and a fair bit of reading, I've come to the conclusion that I should change my work environment.

I became more aware of the MinGW fracture, and its implications. I've been using's MinGW (I'll just call it MinGW), and I had planned to have 3 environments - MinGW, MSVC, and Clang. I've decided to add mingw-32 (already added by Qt Creator 2.6.2) and mingw-64. Yes, there has been plenty of building going on (I might change my name to Bob, eventually), but, as usual, there's also been plenty of learning (this should be a hint that things went less than smoothly).

The plan was as follows: Build for mingw, mingw-32 and MSVC. Then, add mingw-64. And, finally, Clang. I've since decided I'll leave these two for a later time, for now I'll just focus on what I already have on my system.

Building... never a dull moment, heh? And I'm fortunate enough to count Mr. Murphy among my friends, so I like to think I'm given a bonus, as far as non-dull-moments are concerned.

On my first attempt(s) at building Qt 5 (with MinGW), I included WebKit. And Mr. Murphy was kind enough to provide me with a token of our aforementioned friendship (and a new learning experience). Consider this:

g++ <snip an obscene amount of -Ds and -Is> -o path\to\InspectorBackendCommands.o path\to\InspectorBackendCommands.cpp

This was where the build first failed. And the error message complained about not being able to find the file InspectorBackendCommands.cpp. More exactly, the file path\toInspectorBackendCommands.cpp. Ah, you noticed the missing separator as well? Good. Because it sent me on a lovely quest to understand what exactly could be causing this particular concatenation to fail. The fact that it failed on both a path separator and an escape character gave this theory a bit more credibility.

Naturally, after taking a look at the makefiles (and the .pro files, and the .pri files) I realized the concatenation couldn't be the cause of the problem. I decided to run the command individually, and when I pasted it on the cmd prompt, it got truncated. Which led me to suspect some sort of limit was hit by this particular g++ invocation. Which was then confirmed by this.

However, something else was going on here, because the error message didn't truncate anything. It just removed a character. Since I ran make with debug on, I knew it was creating a temporary .bat file and running it, so I recreated the .bat file, I inserted "-DWEBKIT_DO_YOU_REALLY_NEED_ALL_THIS_CRAP_TO_BUILD" into the g++ invocation and ran it. And, naturally, it was now missing some other character.

I still don't understand what exactly is going on here. It's a sort of limit, but one that apparently removes one character, instead of truncating a string. Still, as much as I like a good challenge, I've decided to let this one pass. I made an half-assed attempt at recovering from this failure - I shortened this invocation by removing some stuff I suspected wasn't necessary and reran make. It soon stopped again, on another obscenely long line, much longer than this one. I could've tried to shorten this one, too, but I didn't even know where to start.

In the end, I decided to follow this piece of advice from here:
Consider skipping qtwebkit (...). This module is quite big, takes a long time to compile and if often a source of compile errors, so it is recommend to only download it if you intend to use it.

I don't know if I intend to use it, but I know I don't intend to spend the necessary time to solve what is not, at this moment, an important problem.

So, I deleted everything, recloned the git repo, and ran init-repository with --no-webkit. And it built.

I've since found out that there's a solution for this, but it involves changing mingw's make and rebuilding it. I'm not going to do that now.

All the other builds went smoothly with both versions of MinGW. Qt posed no problems because it was already built with mingw-32.

Then, I started building with MSVC 2012 Desktop. Everything went OK (some minor problems, easily solved), until Qt. While it built, it didn't build properly, some modules were missing (e.g., webkit wasn't even showing up in the logs). I've posted a request for help here, but got no luck. Then, I got suspicious that maybe Qt's cleaning process wasn't quite working as it should, so I deleted my local repo and cloned it again.

And this time, nmake gave me an error, about webkit requiring zlib. Which was odd, because I had zlib, and I was including it in the build paths. Then, I decided to just use -qt-zlib, and everything went smoothly.

So, of all the libs I've built (openssl, zlib, libssh2, icu, boost, poco, qt), qt is definitely the more finicky, at least on Windows. But, since it's also the lib with the largest scope, I guess that's to be expected.

Next time: Testing the builds.

No comments:

Post a Comment